They were suspected to have contracted a disease associated with rat urine that had contaminated the water in the pool.
The youths built the pool and channelled water into it from Sungai Sagil in Ledang.
It is learnt that Muhd Azrul Hisham and Shahrul Aiman, both 13, and Amirul Afiq, 14, had fever, vomitting, diarrhoea and complained of lethargy three days after swimming in the pool.
Azrul’s father, Hisham Semam, 43, said the trio swam in the pool during the recent school holidays.
“Three days after, Azrul fell ill with vomitting and diarhoea. I sent him to a clinic in Tangkak, which then referred him to the hospital,” said Hisham.
“Two of his friends were also sent to the same hospital but only my son was diagnosed with the virus associated with rat urine.”
The attending physician believed that Azrul could have accidentally swallowed some of the water while swimming.
Shahrul and Amirul came down with minor fever.
Hisham said the trio were warded by the hospital for treatment and further observation.
Gambir assemblyman M. Asojan visited the victims at the hospital.
“The Health Department has installed a signboard barring anyone from swimming around Sungai Sagil,” he said.
“Initial investigations revealed there was contamination in the pool, and the possibiity of rats’ faeces and urine present.”
He advised members of the public not to panic, but adopt preventive measures instead.
Read more: 3 warded after swim in makeshift pool http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/3wardedafterswiminmakeshiftpool/Article#ixzz1QR6mxLg0
SOURCE: NST JOHOR STREETS, JUNE 27, 2011