04 April 2009


It was a lucky escape for grandma Zaleha Samat and her granddaughter when an out-of-control lorry came crashing into her house.

The lorry that crashed into a house at Batu 8½  Jalan Muar-Tangkak recently.
The lorry that crashed into a house at Batu 8½ Jalan Muar-Tangkak recently.

"I had just finished my prayers when I heard someone yell that the house was collapsing. I immediately grabbed my granddaughter, who was playing besides me, and ran out of the house," said Zaleha Samat, recounting the harrowing moment when a lorry crashed into her house at Batu 81/2 Jalan Muar-Tangkak recently.

The 8.30am accident involved a lorry and two cars.

The accident is believed to have occurred when a Nissan Cefiro rammed into the back of a Perodua MyVi, which had stopped to make a right turn, causing it to veer into the opposite lane and crash into a lorry coming from Tangkak.

The impact caused the lorry, ladened with furniture, to crash into Zaleha's house.

The lorry was heading towards Sabak Awor from Kuala Lumpur.

A family of three in one of the cars was injured and sent to the Sultanah Fatimah Specialist Hospital.

The injured were siblings Mohd Farid, 22, and Nor Isnah Zakaria, 23. Their father, Zakaria Mohammad, 60, escaped with minor injuries.

Zakaria was driving home after visiting a clinic in Serom when the accident occurred.

The driver and co-driver of the lorry also suffered minor injuries.

At the time of the accident, Zaleha was with her son, Mohammad Taufik Yasabah, 23, and her 18-month-old granddaughter.

They escaped through the kitchen as the front door was blocked by the collapsed wall.

"When I turned to look at the rear of the house, I saw that a lorry had crashed into the wall.

"Thank God my family and I were unharmed, especially Taufik, who had arrived from Mersing two hours earlier, and was working at the computer that was only about five metres away from the collapsed wall," said Zaleha.

A crane took about two hours to free the lorry which was buried under the rubble.

Ledang police chief Superintendent Harun Idris confirmed the accident and said the case was being investigated under Section 43 of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless driving.


Tiada ulasan: